Charitable Gift Annuity
You may be tired of living at the mercy of the fluctuating stock and real estate markets. A charitable gift annuity is a gift made to our organization that can provide you with a secure source of fixed payments for life.
Benefits of a charitable gift annuity
- Receive fixed payments to you or another annuitant you designate for life
- Receive a charitable income tax deduction for the charitable gift portion of the annuity
- Benefit from payments that may be partially tax-free
- Further the charitable work of WBUR with your gift
How a charitable gift annuity works
A charitable gift annuity is a way to make a gift to support WBUR, a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization, licensed by Boston University and whose legal name is Trustees of Boston University.
- You transfer cash or property to Boston University for benefit of radio station WBUR.
- In exchange, we promise to pay fixed payments to you for life. The payment can be quite high depending on your age, and a portion of each payment may even be tax-free.
- You will receive a charitable income tax deduction for the gift portion of the annuity.
- What's left of your gift after your lifetime will continue to support the high-quality of news and information that WBUR produces. The designation is up to you.
- You also receive satisfaction, knowing that you will be helping further our mission.
If you decide to fund your gift annuity with cash, a significant portion of the annuity payment will be tax-free. You may also make a gift of appreciated securities to fund a gift annuity and avoid a portion of the capital gains tax. Please contact us to inquire about other assets that you might be able to use to fund a charitable gift annuity.
If you have any questions about charitable gift annuities, please contact us. We would be happy to assist you and answer your questions.
Deferred charitable gift annuity. Perhaps you are not ready to begin receiving payments until a future date, such as when you retire. With a deferred gift annuity, you establish the gift annuity today, receive a charitable income tax deduction this year, but defer the payments until a designated date sometime in the future. Best of all, because you deferred the payments, your annual payment will be higher when the payments start than they would have been with a current gift annuity.